Thought during “More Perfect” series by RadioLab
Anything related can be a network. Any network got a hidden magic inside. Building a network is unleashing another part of the beauty of this world. And when you do this, when you find the secret clusters, when you connect the lonely entities of existence – then this magic is flowing though this network, enlightening and reviving nodes, breaking out over the invisible strings into the life, connecting everything and everyone.
Our skills are shaped by the templates of education and jobs, by human behaviors and to get a glimpse of this bias we can do a simple experiment.
Let’s build s crawler that is getting LinkedIn skills from many people, connect those skills based on cross-correlation and build a network that is based on highly correlated skills.
Even small amount of people I took (about 150), is giving a network of over 400 correlated skills, connected by 3500 links and lots of interesting insights.
So… Mainly pics and less words.
Parts of the network, related to declared programming language-based networks (per language). Pay attention on differences:
Design (Since this is a small network, it is biased by my occupation, so the design is mainly represented by word of semiconductors – doing it widely would expose other meanings of design):
…with zoom-in on SOC (System On Chip) skills network (pay attention on lack of connection between “microprocessors” and “dsp” skills. hhhhh…) :
Declared Skills, related to “Microsoft”:
This one is coming from my MBA friends (“Merges” as an anchor):
Hmm… Interesting positioning for Leadership skill:
Those are just several examples, but the applications of this network are giving a big potential value. Amazing HR models and mode of work, Personal effective definition of skills and positioning… It can take the LinkedIn to a whole new level.
And as usually – Do not forget to Enjoy Your Life!
Why there is a conductor for orchestra? Actually there are many reasons, even though musicians can play without a conductor (and sometimes they actually do).
Question is – can we make a better conductor by making the artificial system that could answer all the needs and maybe do things that could improve the performance of the orchestra?
Let’s take several primary reasons and try to refer to each while replacing each functionality by technical capability.
In a large orchestra, the time taken for the sound to travel is long and ear-based feedback of musicians is insufficient (even if heard) and causing the lag.
Not just for the beginning, but for the resting of musicians. Especially for brass, woodwind and percussion players, there can be considerable stretches of time when they are not required.
- Make sure that the volume of the instruments balances so nothing is drowned out
It is very hard to synchronize the volume in large orchestra, so conductor is helping to stabilize it.
- Phrasing, tempo, bowings and general style
Those are the elements that conductor shall dictate to the members of the ensemble.
- And… the Show.
To do this, we can provide the pre-programmed system with distributed audio sensors and visual central and distributed interfaces.
Required features of the system:
- Conductor display to provide centralized signals such as beginning and stop, including preparation indicator
- Local displays to be aligned with the instrument, position, adjust to and present a sheet music (it. partitura) and have personal musician’s configuration.
- Local displays to provide begin signals and preparation
- Compensation of delays (TDR) and full alignment between all local stations
- Audio sensors and volume/misalignment feedback to local stations.
- Gathering of audio data for analysis and post-performance feedback and continuous improvement of the ensemble.
- The show/experience component might be intensified by leveraging the real-time data and showing some powerful visuals for people in the concert. In addition the system can provide the visual streaming from local stations so people could see the people behind the performance.
- Visual tempo/phrasing/dynamics conductor display. Something like this (sketch):
Obviously there is a need in a preparations and this might be just an instrument in the hands of the professionals, but this direction can scale up the use of conducting and maybe even improve it 😉
It is harder to look towards the direction where you have already fallen than to go to direction where you have never been.
Lamb under warm cranberry sauce, Eggplant under yogurt blanket, light baby salad and of course Chateau Golan wine…